Time wise this coincides with the post full of photos, but I didn't want to randomly blurt out these thoughts during it, so you get it now...
As I was making my first mug of tea this morning I began thinking about the phrase "A watched pot never boils." Pondering where did the saying originate. And how would you explain that to someone who takes it literally... Later as I'm uploading photos & it is taking absolutely forever! I decided to change the phrase: a watched computer doesn't upload. Because that is what it really felt like!
So, to "not watch" I decided to make a bagel. Friday after I was done with work I stopped at the store to pick up a few things. While there I saw these lovely, plump New York style blueberry bagels. Mmmm. Made my mouth water just thinking about it. So I picked them up to go with the cream cheese I had at home. Well, later I discovered I only had, at most, a tablespoon of cream cheese -- and that's just not enough! I learned how to appreciate cream cheese from my uncle. He taught me to slather it on so thick you can't even tell there's a hole in the middle. While I don't keep up with it that much, I do like to have a decent amount. A tablespoon just isn't enough, and it would be a tease to try it. So instead I went for the "spread." (I'd call it butter, but really it's not. I don't even know if margarine would be appropriate -- it's the stuff with yogurt in it. I'd go to the kitchen & look, but what's the fun in that. Let's see how many of you readers out there can Name That Spread! You feel like you're on a game show, don't you?) Back to the story... Turns out, "spread" on bagels is pretty good. I've gone through most of the bagels on my own!
As I was making my second cup of tea I noticed the chippies outside which of course, lead to various thoughts...
Saturday when I was walking through the yard I saw these two huge (HUGE!) chipmunks. Usually they're about an inch round, these were easily two inches, probably more. Not only are we getting fatter, but apparently so are the chipmunks. (Seriously, there was some meat on that puppy!)
How do you pronounce H-U-G-E? Do you say the 'h' or is it silent? I've always said the 'h' & will always do so. I ask because two years or so ago I heard someone say huge with a silent 'h' -- it sounded very strange, and she was a speech therapist! Even so, I'm not changing the way I say it. I hadn't noticed it again until this past year. Not only was the 'h' in huge silent, so was it in human. (That sounded even weirder!) So I ask, how do you really say it?
Another question for you... what critter digs a little hole, maybe an inch round & deep? It's definitely a hole & not a hoof print -- there's a small pile beside it, mulch on the bottom, dirt scattered on top. I find them everywhere. For the first time I was able to be both mad & amused about it at the same time... I have a small garden area off the side of the house where I have containers sunk into the ground to put plants in (so I can pull them out next year & give them away already root bound). I recently pulled out the containers from last year, put new ones in & planted some of my seedlings. Well yesterday morning I noticed those little holes inside the containers. My first thought was "oh no, not the seedlings!" (very dramatic), but then I had to laugh... I was picturing the critter digging down, hitting it's head on the bottom or side & having to do a u-turn! Rather cartoon like! (Ok, so I amuse myself.)
Crazy dog
12 years ago












No comments:
Post a Comment