Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Our own little pond

We've had the un-delightful experience of having our own flood.
(So to speak.)
Not destroying the city (again), but taking place in our very own kitchen!
Yesterday morning we noticed a small amount of water on the kitchen floor. Enough to say, maybe an ice cube melted. But really it was too much for that.
By the time I got home from work yesterday, he was already at it -- frig pulled out from the wall, tools out, grumbles & moans inserted here & there. But he thinks he took care of it.
The next morning (aka today), not only was there the small stream running away from the frig, but a tiny pool, or pond on the far side of the table.
He turned the cold water off & said "I think that will stop it."
Tonight when I returned home, I entered through the garage, as always, walked up the basement steps, only to find drips. Drips I say, coming from the kitchen!
They were trickling down the hole for the radiator pipe.
I walk upstairs...
The pond has turned into an ocean.
:( boo hoo
I went outside to forewarn his entrance. "It's dripping into the basement."
(Only one of us needed to be surprised.)
I mopped up 1 1/2 bucketfuls of water; soaked up a half dozen towels; and who knows how much ran into the basement. (Fortunately the drain works there!)
As I'm doing this I manage to stay rather cheerful. (I don't quite know how!)
..."The floor will get good a clean!"...
... "What's a traditional meal for a flood? It must have 'soggy' in the title."...
At least we didn't get around to putting in a new floor yet!
At this point it really does seem to have stopped.
But really, only time will tell.

3 comments:

Morgan said...

A long long time ago as all you folks should know uncle Noah built himself and arc

e4 said...

Wow, that's not very fun. I think you'll have better luck with water features out in the landscape...

JBTW said...

I've come up with a flood related food. While it's not for dinner, it's for dessert, & dessert is good:
soggy bottom shoo fly pie
Too bad you can't get it in this area!