Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Come on people!

No comments about the Peeps?!?! You disappoint me... I surely thought I'd get something. Particularly the 'Peeping Peeps'. They are by far my favorite. Oh well.

I didn't get to mention it before, but I've gone out of town for a mini-vacation. Started my drive late Monday morning to meet with KC & the (sunshine) Gang for lunch. Then continued on my journey to Cleveland. I was ready to get out of the car by the time I got here! We ate at a Fatburger - never heard of it before, but I recommend the strawberry shakes if you happen across one. I wanted to send a picture of the meal to Keith (via my mom's new phone) & ask him what he ordered for dinner, but we thought of it after we already ate. I think we were hungry!

Today it poured more than I've seen it pour before. But maybe my perspective is jaded by the consequences of the rain in this area... We were headed to breakfast (IHOP if you're wondering) & the lightening was brighter & more frequent than I've ever seen. Immediately before our destination there was a possibly abandoned vehicle in the middle of a street to our right, just beyond the intersection. (I say 'possibly' abandoned because I didn't see a person in it & the lights weren't on.) When we got out of the car, even with umbrellas, I got pretty wet from the crazy angles it was blowing (and that's even from the 1st space beyond the handicap one!). The power went out a few times before we placed our order -- we did get our food fairly promptly still (in case you were worried we were starving while waiting!). On our way to the Botanical Garden & an Ansel Adams' exhibit we ended up stuck in traffic. But not stuck like another vehicle -- they were stuck in the overflowing water! Too bad it was slightly sideways in traffic (just beyond a turn at an intersection again). A guy finally got out of the backseat to run to a business across the street -- the water was up past his ankles!! I was a little worried sitting so close to it as vehicles of all shapes and size were trying to quickly squeeze between us. As trucks to our right drove by it looked like you were at the beach with the "waves" crashing above the sidewalks! We made it through, eventually. I could feel the water hitting under the car beneath my feet as we went through the deeper spots. And of course getting drenched (the car this time, not us) by the waves when trucks would pass us on the right. Then we really got stuck in traffic. Six lanes (I believe) that were to merge together, were pretty much at a standstill. I still don't know how long it took us to get through -- an overall 20 minute trip that lasted over an hour. A game of Sudoku from the newspaper helped time pass a little quicker. Still glad I used the facilities before we left IHOP though!!!

The rain did die down enough for us to truly enjoy the Gardens -- we started inside while it was coming done, then made our way outside. At times we still made use of the umbrellas they provided (glad for that!), but for the most part it was a dry walk. As Michael commented, it was way better than we expected. Another recommendation from me, if you're ever in the area.

The Ansel Adams exhibit was also nice. Free, didn't take too long (by then we were getting tired), & a short walking distance from the Gardens. Particularly good if you enjoy his photographs, which I do.

More later...

1 comment:

JBTW said...

I later heard our wait in traffic was closer to an hour & a half. Yikes! Glad we stopped for a paper before breakfast!!!