Monday, June 23, 2008

June 20th

We're now in Front Royal, VA.

Before I get on to pictures, I'll share a fact I learned because we were curious...

The name came about from a frustrated commander trying to get his soldiers to face the same direction -- he ordered "Front to the Royal Oak." Bystanders were amused and the name stuck.
~
Now entering, Skyline Caverns (#3 if you're keeping track).
You too could possibly get a private tour as we did. No extra charge. Just arrive early in the day, probably a week day helps too.
And here's the amazing find that is unique to this cavern... Anthodites (aka Calcite Cave Flower). ~
This guide was rather amusing... His ending statement summed it up: If you enjoyed the tour, my name is Kirby, if not, it's Mike. (in reference to leaving comments)
~
We headed back to town to see if there was anything for us to see or do. There were the historical things, however, that wasn't peaking our interest at the moment. So we tried an art gallery & the such, but it wasn't our thing. There was however one quite amusing sight at an Amish store - let's see if you agree... (you may need to click on it to enlarge it for better enjoyment)
Well, what do you think?
~
Next stop, Winchester, VA for the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley and The Gardens...
Should you go there (& you should), go to the gardens first, then the tea room (get some Bourbon Street Vanilla there, or to take home, or both!), then the museum (there's a house too, but we didn't go there, so I have no idea about that). We got lucky & were able to stay longer due to a wedding in the gardens. I could have used an extra 10 minutes or so, but that extra 20 minutes was wonderful! (And we didn't even know until we were asked to leave!)
I managed to awaken an idle bird, but it was not too disturbed by us, as it didn't fly off.
Then our final destination was home.

Home again, home again, jiggety jog...

No comments: